Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Train


I was running a little late but I usually leave a little early so I guess I was on time so I didn’t worry about until I got to the train station and heard over the public address system that there was a 15-20 minute delay due to a disabled train at Park Street.

There was nothing that I could do about it so I got on the next train that came. Progress was slow and the passengers were constantly reminded of the disabled train at Park Street until the train we were on broke down.

The passengers were not happy with the change in news and I could hear the rumbling of complaints so I pulled out my iPod. The employees of the public transit system were doing some things to try to get us moving again but nothing worked so they decided that pushing our train with the train behind us was the solution.

Now I don’t know how familiar all my faithful readers are with riding a subway train but it is often a jerky ride, there are quick stops and quick starts, it is just the way it is. If you ride it more than twice you know about the jerkiness.

They told us that they were going to attach the train behind us to our train and then push us to the next station. Now I know attaching two trains together is not similar to a delicate kiss on the lips from a dear loved one, I know that there will be a bump in our near future and I just assumed that everyone else knew but when it came there was what seemed to be extreme surprise and over concern to slight jerk, caused by a bump, that was less of a jolt you get when the train starts from a stand still.

Often people discourage me.

I was forty minutes late but life goes on.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

The people that were surprised are probably also surprised that the pilot of a commercial airliner can't turn off the turbulence just because they complained to the flight crew about it.

Timothy said...

I thought of your plane story when this was happening