Saturday, October 13, 2007

She said "I just do"

Folks talk to me all the time; mostly because I sit in a busy location. I thought it was a little odd that she was standing a bit closer than she had too but I just figured that maybe she thought I was less of a creep than the other guy next to her.

I was surprised when she said "They all seem to know you," because immediately, prior to her standing there, I didn't think, there was any indication that I was known more than anybody else. She looked like she was still in her twenties, she had brown shoulder length hair. She possessed a strong presence of confidence which seemed slightly out of place on her to me but it fit her well. She played in a higher league than me.

When she asked "How much have you had?" I lied and answered that I hadn't had that much. I didn't mean to lie, it as just that I felt fine, I gauged my quantity of drinking with how drunk I felt; I didn't feel drunk so I figured I mustn't have had a lot but then I remembered the two shots of tequila, the margarita, and the beers.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Okay" she said as she left with her drink.

A little while later she returned but was standing on the other side of my chair.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm doing fine?" I said.

"Have you eaten anything today?"

"Yup."

When she wanted to now when I ate last, I started to worry a little. I felt fine, I wasn't drinking quickly, I was pacing myself. I wondered what it was that was causing her a concern. I didn't feel she was being judgmental, she seemed generally concerned for my well being and she was pretty, so I mentioned that it was at about one thirty.

When she said "That's a long time ago," I wanted to argue the point, but it was after six o'clock. I answered with a little shrug. She ordered a water for herself and sipped it a little. "You should really eat something or drink some water," she said. I answered with a nod. She smiled as she placed her water in front of me and walked away.

I sat there worrying more, at what possibly she could be seeing that was causing her concern when another margarita was placed in front of me. It was one of those nights where I could have drank all night long and as long as I didn't drink too quickly, walk a straight line home but I sipped some water anyway.

I was half way through the margarita when she returned. She leaned forward to let me know it was her standing there as she weighed the cup of water she left before she drank from it again while watching me. I assured her that I was sipping from it but she didn't seem too convinced. She placed it back in front of me before she left without a word.

A moment passed and then one of the bartenders passed over a plate of chicken tenders to me. She said something I didn't quite make out but the bartenders never just give me food, they will pick up my lunch tab but they won't just order me food, so I knew it was from my concerned friend.

I further wondered why she cared. I was pretty certain she didn't know me. I was pretty certain she couldn't know me. I don't get out much. I keep the amount of friends I have to a small number. I don't have a lot of information on Myspace. I don't have any local blog readers (other than King, occasionally, and I'm confident he isn't female) and I'm pretty certain that I could recognize distant blog readers that I would know me.

I think she got my attention with a little nudge when she approached again although I don't think she actually touched me. She reached for the cup of water again and took a sip. Her actions where stating to get to me; I don't like being liked for no reason. There were bigger lonelier drunks than me at the bar that could use a guardian, I couldn't figure out way she was bothering with me.

She was still using the straw, still watching me when I asked, "Why do you care?" She said "I just do."

No comments: