Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Your ying usually gets yanged, just like everybody else's so don't complain about it.

I just want to tell him to calm the heck down.


Your Power Bird is a Vulture

You are always changing your life and the lives of those around you.
You aren't afraid to move on from what holds you back.
Energetic and powerful, you have a nearly unlimited capacity for success.
You know how to "go with the flow" and take advantage of what is given to you.


...

"So, are you ever going to come in now?" her friend asked.

"Sometimes I come in to see you, ya know."

Fade to black

The Sunday seemed a little bit gray despite the fine weather.

I didn't say a word as I passed over the hand packed box of premium chocolates. She placed them on the cooler to her right and slid the ribbon off. I remained quiet when she said "This is my last box of chocolates that you're ever going to buy me." She took one piece out and then closed it.

I got there in time to see the Patriots' game. I really wasn't interested in football, though. She was hanging out at my end of the bar but we didn't talk much to each other. The silence was a little uneasy but actual conversation would have been harder.

When she offered me a chocolate, I took one even though I didn't want one. She lifted the first layer to look at the bottom layer again. I started to name what was what; I had done my best to get the ones with nuts. She smiled at me as she said "Yeah, believe me, I know."

"I'll probably never do a martini as a shot again."

"Yeah, your tolerance is going to go way down."

The day before, another bartender asked me "Am I the only one upset about this?" I was but there was nothing I could do about it. Jen was failing her courses, her future was in the balance and I knew she wasn't enjoying being a bartender anymore.

Two of her friends were there, one a current bartender and one a former. She wouldn't drink but she served up multiple shots of Stoli Peach.

Her shift ended during the Sox game. She pushed some of my tip back at me and said "Here, I didn't do any sexual favors for you." I pushed it back and told her some of it was from the day before. The day before none of my drinks had been rung up, if I had been charged it would have been about forty bucks without the tip.

She cashed out and stood behind us, no one wanting to say goodbye. She said that she would drop in some Friday, every now and again but I knew she wouldn't and then with a half hug, she was gone.

...




"Nobody was doing anything so I stepped up."

"Well, that's what happens when you step up."

You can't fault people for acting like you're in charge when you've taken charge.

No comments: