Friday, November 26, 2004

“I wish I could say that it was nice talking to you but it wasn’t.”

Sometimes we’re let go early. Times like this past Wednesday. If we do get to go it’s usually at two.

I took lunch at one which is early for me but if we were to get to go at two, it would work out better for me.

I walked to the regular lunch place and, on the way, met a poker buddy who had the same idea. I also just received a call from a different friend that he was on his way.

We sat at the bar which was mostly empty except for the two end seats on the left and the end seat on the right which left the four in the middle. I sat next to the guy on the right after my buddy sat in the chair that would be to my left. I usually keep an empty chair next to me and someone I don’t know, if I have a choice but I thought we were going to need the chairs and sometimes when you sit right next to a guy he feels crowded and doesn’t stick around. This guy stuck around.

That day’s lunch started in 16 ounce tumblers poured from a tap. We got a call at about one thirty that we would be let out early, right at two which meant I was done for the day.

The guy to my right started talking to me after I had witnessed his fourth pint since I had been there and after each request he adds ‘It’s for the road’. He told me that he was 57 years old, he was from ‘across the pond,’ he was born in ’54, his father was eleven years older than his mother, his first name was Paul, he’s a limey, his last name was H-O-W-E-S (he spelled it out instead of saying it) and his family’s name can be traced back to 1647 here in America.

I wasn’t so impressed with the guy’s lineage because my great to the eighth grandfather was married in Boston, Mass on Oct 9 1657, and I know that guy was a blood relative. This guy, he just knew that some guy named Howes was in Boston in 1647.

He asked if I was Irish. I told him maybe but mostly Scottish, French Canadian, Polish and Jewish. He seemed to be worried that the Boston Irish wished to do him harm.

He told me that the greatest holocaust ever to happen was what the Europeans did to the Native Americans. He also told me something that he said was very important that his grandmother told him, “Don’t believe anything you read and only believe half of what you see.” I didn't disagree with either of those statements.

He eventually was shut off at the bar at about 3:30. I was told he arrived when they opened at 11:30AM.

During my conversation with Paul five other friends had entered the bar. I was commended for my patience listening to the guy by my friends and the bar staff.

As Paul was about to use a route that wasn’t a straight line to the door he said “I wish I could say that it was nice talking to you but it wasn’t.”

I just laughed.

I’ll listen to anyone.

Lunch ended after two double shots with one friend and myself at the bar.

At 6:38PM I took this photo of sidewalk artwork.


No comments: