Saturday, May 05, 2007

more than just a simple one

I got an email from a former co-op. She works for an engineering firm in the area now. She was asking about the co-worker who died.

I wrote her what I knew and added something someone said. It wasn't my best piece of writing but it did convey my message.

Here's part of her reply.

I just started crying when I read this:
I think you remember Frank Mahoney, he used to have coffee with us, he used to call her everyday, he told me “She was my best friend.”


When I first told Frank, he said "She was my friend," and said it like it was news to me. Two days later, at the wake, he added the adjective best. A lot of people tend to exaggerate when it comes to someone who had just died. I don't think that happened in Frank's case. I think he had time to reflect on his relationship and realized that it was more than just a simple one.

I would often take calls between the two of them and they would frequently refer to each other as a pain in the ass but they were never too busy to take the call and they would drop off, if they had been put on hold.

No comments: