Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Shhh...

Some people just need to talk and then they end up talking too much. I'm not afraid of quietness. It's okay to be still.


She lit up as she called my name. She was sneaking a bit of lunch to the left of the taps where it's hard for the patrons to see her. I ignored all the glances in my direction as I headed towards a seat near Tony and Dennis.

She was still beaming as she came over and told me that she was glad that I was there. She informed me that she would be in need of some espresso which meant coffee based drinks were in both of our futures.

Another regular joined us later and we started buying rounds for each other. I know Tony doesn't like it when you buy him a round. He doesn't like it because "Then you feel obligated to buy a around and then you end up drinking more than you want. You should just buy your own beer." I agree with Tony and there are times I won't reciprocate that day.

When I went to get the espresso, the new arrival left, and Tony followed after which just left me with Dennis. My escape came when another regular came in with a friend. I relocated so that they could sit together. Dennis left after he finished his beer.

Emily stood in front of me and smiled as I rolled my eyes as he left.

"I try not to sit next to him. He's not a bad guy. He just never shuts up. And he tells you all his worldly wisdom."

"Only he has none."

I smiled as I said "Exactly."

No comments: