Saturday, May 05, 2007

Please just take it outside boys - I don't feel like being a hero today

The message usually always gets across but there are times when the style is rather potent which is great when it happens but when it doesn't I think the thing is a failure.

"I see the worth but I don't like it."


I cut out a couple minutes early, six to be exact so I guess that's more than a couple. I had time sensitive things to do at the second job and had wanted to get started on them. I was standing at the end of the platform going over my list of things to do when my attention was drawn to two teenage boys who had just called out to a third.

The three of them stood about twelve feet from me and I overheard one of them say "Yeah, so I grabbed two," he was holding cell phones. I looked up the platform after he said "Oh, shit. Here comes the dude." A guy in his early forties wearing a t-shirt and the signs of a tired life was walking with purpose to our location.

I sighed because no matter what was about to happen I was going to be involved.

Even though the guy said that the kid was on camera taking the phone the kid denied having it. Things got loud and physical; someone called the police. The scene escalated and folks started to move away as one was pushing to get away and the other was tightly holding on to his jersey collar. I was calculating when to get involved as I stood my ground. I crossed my arms as I widen my stance. I rolled my eyes a bit as I had two women trying to escape the scene stand by me; I worried that I was going to need as much room as I could get. I wondered when the punches would come.

The guy finally let go of the kid when the kid's buddy produced a phone. We all knew it wasn't the stolen phone because his buddy removed the simm card from it. Then some public transportation official finally showed up as the train I was waiting for entered the station.

The scene was over so I got on but it was an angry ride for me because some two bit thief almost screwed up my evening.

No comments: