Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I wonder how much bait I eat

The other day while I was struggling to write a post on why I don't label myself a writer I heard a gnawing noise and looked to my right. And, to my right was a little mouse gnawing at the bait in the mouse trap which I had set. I watched for a moment before I reached for the trap that I knew would not spring. I knew it would not spring because I had just rebaited several traps that were stripped clean by other mice. As I reached for the trap the mouse ran off. I made an adjustment to the trap to make it more sensitive and then placed it back.

After awhile I heard the gnawing noise again because the mouse had returned. I watched a bit waiting for the trap to spring but then I looked away because I really didn't want to witness the mouse trap in actual action but alas it still didn’t spring.

I then thought of the virtue of the mouse. I thought he was brave or was he stupid or naïve or just damn lucky? Anyway, I thought he deserved the meal.

but…

Today's he's dead and such is life. He was just a mouse.

No comments: