Sunday, October 09, 2005

So, I outlasted two groups of friends and was waiting to outlast the last group when Jen squares herself in front of me and asks "Do you want a shot?"

I had been nursing a beer, I really didn't feel like drinking so I really wasn't but I really didn't feel like going home, so I wasn't. I did however, want to try a full shot of Patron Silver.

"How much is a shot of Patron Silver?" I asked

"It doesn't matter because I'm buying it. Is that what you want?"

"I want to know how much it is."

"I'm not telling you. Is that what you want?"

I wanted to argue with her. I wanted to truly know the price no matter who was paying for it but I knew on that night I wasn't going to be told.

"Sure" I said and then watched her ice and then pour a double shot of high priced tequila. She sat it in front of me and I let out a small sigh. I hadn't calculated for a double shot, I was only certain a single shot would keep me upright and barf free so there was a delay while I assessed the damage a double shot was going to do.

"Drink it! …before it gets warm" I was told, first as a command but then feigned concern, after I shot her a look, just as I just determined that I could handle twice the amount of hard liquor as I had previous calculated. I drank it down and looked her in the eye as I placed the quickly emptied glass in front of her. She just shook her head as Danielle told me I was crazy.

After another beer, it was just me and one other friend. He asked what was next. I told him I didn't really care, he could choose but he had no suggestion. I suggested whiskey sours as I explained it's an old man's drink. He didn't care. I asked Jen for two and as she served them she placed a glass of ice water next to my drink and asked it the shot did me in. I told her it did and explained that I really wasn't expecting a double shot. My longest lasting friend of the night then said "I'll take 'Who knows Tim' for $200 dollars, Alex"

My friend's a perceptive smartass.

No comments: