Monday, September 10, 2007

Such is life

During the tour of his newly purchased home he asked me what I thought of the rug in the family room. I told him that it looked durable.

...

It was a short night.

...


Coleslaw
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown


1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 fluid ounces plain yogurt
2 fluid ounces mayonnaise
1 tablespoon pickle juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Kosher salt, as needed
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse thoroughly and dry.
In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the cabbage and carrot. Whisk to combine evenly. Toss the cabbage and carrot with the dressing.
Yield:
Preparation time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Easy of preparation: easy



All in all it wasn't too bad a day. Sure I spent one full day of a three day weekend moving furniture and boxes full of personal items and pots and pans and stuff but I survived and was driving home by six thirty in the evening.

I stopped at the light at the end of the off ramp in the right hand lane, at the curb on the left was a seemingly homeless man with a cup. I briefly thought of that little girl that was selling lemonade for half the day; on the last trip from the self storage place, when time was no longer an issue, I stopped. Someone was with me so I bought him one too. I asked the little girl how much they were. She answered by pointing at the sign that said twenty cents as I handed her two singles.

It seemed like I was on some sort of good deed roll so, when the light turned green, I let the traffic on the left pass me and I moved over to where the guy was and handed him a five.

I figured my day wasn't the worst but it still wasn't good and if I couldn't make myself happy at least I could try to make a few people's day along my way.

No comments: