Thursday, May 06, 2004

Smoking always seems to put the period on things for me...


Today there was this meeting. A meeting to tie up some loose ends. Loose ends left by a failure of which I was a part.

The last occupation my father had was a pastor of a church. My father died and the church went on. Went on, and then died. I was a pallbearer. The church had lots of assets, over a million dollars worth closing the church involved this long process. That process pretty much ended tonight.

The assets are going to a church organization that my grandfather was a part of, he help found it. Prior to today the largest single contribution to this organization was one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Once it's all said and done, properties liquidated and such, what I voted on tonight will make the largest contribution close to one and a half million dollars. Ten times the previous amount. I wish I could find comfort in that but I don't. Many good works will come from that money and it is good to finally have things settled but comfort, well...

Anyway, after the meeting I headed to the r.e. office to take care of some business. On the way I bought some cigars. Eight mini Macanudo cigars. The closest parking spot was two long blocks away so I lit one up for the walk. There is usually no smoking allowed in the r.e. office, maybe even a rule I had instituted but there is smoking tonight. The bottle cap to an Arizona Iced Tea is serving as an ashtray.

Smoking always seems to put the period on things for me. Unfortunately, I'm not a smoker.

No comments: