Sunday, February 06, 2005

everything old is new again


I got the call while I was trying out my sumi-e kit, a gift from Christmas as of yet unused.

“I’m leaving”

I’m not surprised

She would always tell you all the things she was doing for you, when really she was doing them for herself. Just because others receive a benefit doesn’t mean it’s not a selfish act.

The news really didn’t phase me much, she was good at some things but not so good at other things, yings and yangs and all that stuff.

There is someone new coming on soon, someone from old, someone else who said she was leaving, and now she says leaving was a mistake, the grass seems greener and all that stuff.

The two of them wouldn’t have gotten along anyway so this solves a problem.

My first reaction was to clean my brushes and get to the second job, as much as I can’t stand some of the stuff that happens there, my gut reaction is always to defend, to support. I’ve been around the place since the start, probably fifty or so people have worked here off and on, there are only three day one people left: the owner, her sister-in-law and me. I didn’t clean my brushes right away and when I did I didn’t rush into the office, I just treated yesterday like any other Saturday. This place of business has been written off more than once but we always survive and her leaving really won’t even be a hiccup.

Do the star players make the team or does the team make the star players?

I think someone is about to find out.

No comments: