Thursday, February 24, 2005

A statement was made and then a question came, followed by silence.

The silence was mine, an assessment was being made, an assessment to open something that usually remains closed. A look in her eyes confirmed that she was waiting for that openness. The problem, looks can be deceiving. Was I seeing what was there or was I seeing what I wanted to be there?

I assessed the statement. It seemed to say she wanted to know.

I went over the question. She was asking to know.

I don’t mind telling but for my own benefit I need to know that she won’t be sorry that she asked.

I debate whether I should make the judgment of who hears what. Truth is truth and all that.

Another look in her eyes tells me she is still waiting, the look goes deep. The depth seems to be endless. I look away before an end is seen.

I tell her.

Her expression didn’t change but the depth in her eyes disappeared.

My first thought – “Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of.”

“Be careful what you ask for”, was my second thought and then I closed what was opened.

No comments: