Sunday, February 13, 2005

swiped

“Hello”

“Hi, Tim.”

“Hi, Little g”

“Are you busy?”

“Well, I was on my way to the second job” I said as I was looking a writable CD’s while holding five collapsed boxes, packing tape and bubble-pack-lined envelopes.

“Oh because I have to drop off valentines to my cousins.”

“Okay, I’ll be right there” I said, my decision was make up for me, no writable CD’s today. They weren’t for me anyway, I was going to ship them somewhere.

I went to the front of the store to pay with my debit card, I swiped my card as instructed then handed it to the cashier as instructed. She gets distracted by some dude that is asking for a manager and places my debit card on this thing that looks an awful like one of the demagnetizing things that the stores use to disable the security devices. You know the ones that say DO NOT PLACE CREDIT CARDS ON TOP ON THIS DEVICE or something like that. Anyway, I could not see for certain because she had placed my bag of items on top of the device and I could only see the very end of it.

I thought about pointing it out to the cashier but she wasn’t having a good day and if my guess was correct, the damage had already been done, so I waited. She handed me my bag and I saw the aforementioned warning label bold as brass.

I thought “Great. No good deed goes unpunished.”

I left and headed to the nearest ATM inserted my card, choose the choice of ‘English’ entered my pin, and asked for the total to be printed on a receipt.

$342.50 is what I was informed.

No comments: