Thursday, February 24, 2005

Yeah, I really don't have a brother. It's just a cover.

so, the discussion starts about cooking steaks. The participants are two co-workers, I'm doing my best to be quiet. I'm no expert in cooking steaks but I know some things

one co-worker is saying that once you cook the steak past pink in the middle it doesn't matter how much longer you cook it for, it is like rubber, he claims to have knowledge of cooking

the other co-worker is saying that once well done is achieved and the steak is removed, it can still be tender

the first co-worker claims that this tender well done steak is scientifically impossible because you cook all the juices out

"scientifically impossible" is what got me to speak up

bold claims to something I know not to be true gets me every time

if he said that a tender well done steak is difficult to achieve I would have been able to sit quiet, I can agree with that but to say it's scientifically impossible …I don't know why that bothers me so much.

That's the same reason Mythbusters bothers me so much, they make scientific claims yet neither of them knows much about scientific studies, they always screw up the control.

Well, not always just mostly always.

How hard would it be to contact a real scientist, if they can't get the controls right? or leave the 'controls' out altogether because they are really just entertainers.

If they just leave the word science out of their show I could watch it more peacefully because otherwise it's kind of entertaining.

...

so the plan at my brother's work is to bring in one of those table top grills and start grilling up some chicken

when the bosses come over and ask what's going on. he'll say "We're just grilling up some chicken"

then the bosses will say "There is no cooking in the office"

then he'll ask "How is this any different than using the office toaster or the office microwave?"

then the bosses will get rid of the office toaster and the office microwave

all because nobody has the balls to ask people to stop being a jackass

No comments: