Sunday, February 20, 2005

lions and tiger and bears

“Hey, what are you doing” I asked as I was making my way from my broken meter parking spot to her house. I was at a metered spot because she has residential parking in her neighborhood that gets enforced during the day.

“Nothing” she said and from the sound of it she was in bed. She works nights which throws our collective schedules off.

“I’m coming up” I said as I hung up the phone.

Actually, I did make a side trip to the local CVS in search of discount candy after I parked my truck. I didn’t see any candy that I would eat which means I didn’t see any that I would mail overseas. I did get some peeps though because she likes peeps.

I took the stairs two at a time because that’s my style. I ran the bell and got no answer and was in the process of getting her key from my pocket when my cell phone rang. It was her.

“You don’t think I’m going to get out of bed do you?”

“I was just about to put the key in the door when you called.”

I went upstairs, she was in bed, it was about noon. I gave her the peeps and five chocolate roses and said “I’m working on something else.” She replied “I don’t need anything” and as she gave me what turned out to be a leather credit card holder and a large heart shaped cookie on a stick. Valentine’s day was four days ago but we were busy but then we’re not much for convention anyway.

We talk about this and talk about that then she asked for something from the frig, I go to get it and I hear her say something that ends in “in the freezer” I look in the freezer and see frozen corn, frozen broccoli, ice cubes and one of those soft gel ice packs. I can’t figure out why either she or I would want any of those things so I left everything in place and went back up stairs.

“I didn’t hear what you wanted in the freezer” I said

“I wanted the ice pack. I have something to show you” and she hops up, quick as a cat, to her knees, the comforter falls to the bed, she there in matching black under things. I think “That’s a nice show” but she isn’t finished yet. She turns her back to me and leans forward on her right hand and with the left she reaches around to the waist band of the lower part of her underthings. I think “Great, I honestly didn’t hear you and now you’re going to moon me but don’t you realize that this isn’t going to offend me" which I didn't actually believe but I did think it. Sometimes, my snide remarks are just for me.

The only light in the room is coming from the TV and what little is peeking through the one small window with the closed blinds, she lowers her bikini cut undergarment and displays a bruise that encompasses the whole of her left cheek which even in the dimly lit room and on her darkly colored skin is quite noticeable.

“Oh my!” is what I think I said.

No comments: