Sunday, August 14, 2005

"What ya doing?"

"Nothing much" is what I said but I was actually in the process of buying a shed. I wondered how much of something I would have to be doing before I would change my answer from the normal one I had just given to something a bit more accurate.

"Get out of bed" Lady G said.

"I'm not always in bed. I'm actually buying a shed"

There is a need a shed because currently there is a show blower sitting in the room that will be the formal living room, a chipper/mulcher and a tiller sitting in the room that will make my single living room into a double living room, and there is a power washer and a lawnmower in what will be a study, all of which and a bunch of other collected items should be in a shed.

I've needed a shed for some time I just never wanted to buy a shed but on this day I was doing my best to buy a damn shed.

I went to the discount lumber yard, where I know they have been advertising shed kits for half past forever. I walked around a bit, the place was just like I remembered even though I've never actually been in this particular lumber yard, it was just like one to which my dad used to take me.

I walked around to see what they had and to maker certain they actually had the continually advertised sheds. The sheds are advertised with sample fronts hanging on the building. There was a staff member helping someone load in the actual yard part of the lumber yard so I asked him how I could buy a shed.

"What shed?"

"The one with the gable roof" I said as I pointed to the wall with the shed fronts.

"I don't think we have those"

"What are those over there?" I asked as I pointed to some very large orange plastic shrink wrapped bundles with labels that indicated they where sheds.

"I think those are different"

"How much are those then?" I asked and the dude walks back to where he could see the shed fronts hanging on the building and reads me the price off of the wall.

"I'll take one" I said even though I had some questions about what he originally thought I was talking about. He walked over to the orange packages and looked at the top one, there was about a stack of eight.

"I can't read the label. The rain got to it. I don't know what this is" He said as he was half-assedly examining the beat to heck top shed. The one I wasn't going to but even if I knew what it was.

"What about this one?" I asked as I pointed to the one directly below it. The one with the readable label that said 8x8 garden shed - gable roof

"I'll have to move the top one and all this stuff" he said as he pointed to two half filled pallets of what not in front of the most likely never bought sheds.

I just stood quiet because I agreed.

"How do I pay? Do I need a sku number or anything? Do I just go in and pay and bring a slip to you?"

"You just go inside and pay and bring me a receipt for $368"

The dude followed me inside and mentioned to one of the cashiers that I was buying a shed when it would be my turn in line. I was third in the queue.

"I would like to buy a shed" I said when it was my turn.

"How many?"

"Just the one" I said with a smile.

"Okay. How much?"

"369" (yeah, I was a dollar off) is what I said instead of the "Hell you tell me!" which first came to mind and then he proceeded to ring me up for some mystery general item for the price of $369 and I wondered what would have happened if I said 120. He gave me a 5% discount which I then worried about because I was instructed to bring back a receipt for $368.

I walked back to the yard part of the lumber yard and produced my receipt and before looking at it the dude asked what I was driving and where it was so I pointed at my black truck for the second time that day because he had asked before as well. He then looked at the receipt and then looked at it some more.

"He gave you a 5% discount?"

"Yup. At first I thought it was because of the tax free weekend but then he told me he took another 5% off"

"He probably gave you my discount because that's what I get."

I just stood silent.

I won't even go into the production it was to get it into my truck.

No comments: