Thursday, February 23, 2006

Now with warnings!

The following is nearly six hundred words just to say "I swallow."

I probably have too strong a connection to the place and it's probably because it's a casual relationship, a relationship that really can't get all that deep, there is always an easy way out.

But a relationship there is so I felt it my duty to show up when the new barkeep was being shown the ropes even if it was just for lunch and ginger ales.

She was not only told how things operate, she was also told who the 'freak shows' were and some of the preferences of some of the regulars.

I was talking with one of my buddies when my attention was diverted by a question.

"Timmy, what's our favorite drink?" She knows I not too particular with my drinks so I know she was referring to the folks behind the bar.

"It used to be just Stoli Peach but now Patrón has been added to the mix."

She looked back to the new girl with an I-told-you-so look, and then she turned back to me and said that Stoli O was making a come back. Stoli O was the favorite before the Stoli Peach was stocked.

I normally sit at the end of the bar with the taps so I get to talk to the wait staff as well as the barkeeps. The waitress was while leaning on corner of the bar next to me while keeping an eye on her tables. She smelled like apple blossoms, occasionally she would rest her foot on the bottom rail and her knee would hit mine.

"You know, Timmy, it's great when you come in because a lot of people don't want to come into an empty bar. You help bring people in."

"I'm here to help." I take a late lunch so, sometimes I'm there by myself because the regular lunch crowd is gone before I get there. I'm not a big fan of crowds so it works out for everyone. And I like the personalized attention.

When I had to go back to work the barkeep asked my buddy if he was staying, he started thinking so I told him that I would be back at four. He decided that he would be back at four as well.

When we got back my buddy stuck with his usual after work beer. I started with beer and then started to mix things up, and I guess when you help train the new girl you get a lot of complimentary drinks because I got a few free drinks, kind of like getting your hair cut at a barber school, you don't pay full price. I think it also helps if you'll drink anything in any size glass.

"What do you want?"

"What's most instructional?"

I ended up with a chilled shot of Stoli O. I was knocking it back when I noticed some ice. I assured myself there is often a little bit of ice and that it was no big deal and that's when I noticed more ice, too much ice, I actually laughed a bit because I was screwed, because it was too late to turn back but I had wondered how much ice I could actually swallow. But then the choice of trying to keep most of the ice in my mouth popped into my head but I figured I wasn't going to spit it out, so I just swallowed it all, so in actuality it was only nearly too much ice.

So when it comes to the choice of spit or swallow, I swallow.

...

He looked at the answer chart to the Su Doku and asked if anybody knew how to play it. So, we explained the game to him.

"Oh, I didn't know. Nobody ever told me before."

"Nobody ever told me before either. I just read the instructions."

No comments: