Sunday, January 08, 2006

It was like it was my goal to prove that cutting down on drinking wasn't on any self made list of resolutions.

At seven o'clock another barkeep came in, she smiled as she told me she had something for me. I watched her go to her bag and continued to watch as she rummaged through her things. I looked away after a moment. I was playing it cool.

"This is what I got you" she said as she handed me a plastic bag.

I thanked her as I pulled out a hardcover book on graphic design.

"This is too much…Thank you. I love books" I felt a little guilty as we entered into an involved conversation. If I see her at all it's only on Friday nights so I don't see her frequently. I felt as if I were cheating on my three regular barkeeps, all of which were present. I couldn't figure a fix to my guilt so I continued as I was. Once our conversation ended, the bartender that had been serving me since late afternoon came over.

"The daytime regulars are suppose to leave by eight thirty"

I glanced at the clock. It was quarter 'til nine. "Give me my bill and I'll go" I said as I shrugged my shoulders. I only half hoped I was calling her bluff.

Instead of a bill she placed a cocktail with what looked like sour mix in it.

"This doesn't look like a Bud Light" I said because except for the Redheaded Slut shot someone bought me, I had been drinking Bud Lights since 4 PM. She offered no reply to my statement. She just walked away.

The non-Bud Light was a Disaronno Sour. It was garnished with two cherries. The extra cherries are some sort of inside joke with the barkeeps, probably having to do with something I said once but have since forgotten. Once they put seven cherries in one of my drinks and I ate them all out of spite mostly.

After a couple more drinks I left. I had a book to read.

No comments: