Thursday, January 19, 2006

my house blew its top

Yesterday, there was a high wind advisory in my area. High winds always cause me concern because I have a few tree that surround my property. Walking home from the subway station I started to purvey the trees in the front. I didn't noticed any missing or downed limbs which was a good thing. I did notice some rolled roofing sitting in the front lawn.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com


My house has four different types of roofing, the rolled roofing is one type. I was hoping I was going to be saying to one of my neighbors "Sorry about your roof" but it turned out that I would be on the receiving end of any condolences.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com


My house has three different roof heights, one for each of the stories, rolled roofing is at the second and third. I checked the second story first, it was okay which only left the third. I'm not a big fan of heights but I'm even less of a fan of water pouring into my house. To get to the highest level, I have to walk up a section of pitched roof, I did so and saw an eight foot long section of roofing missing, I was losing daylight so I didn't have time for self pity, I went to Home Depot bought some stuff and fixed it.

Fixing a wet roof in gale force winds in the dark isn't very enjoyable or at least I don't like it much, which I can now say with experience.

After I washed off the roofing tar from my hands, with the help of some paint thinner, I cooked a beef roast which was my original plan for Wednesday evening. While I was fire roasting some peppers, I heard sleet hitting the kitchen window. I smiled as I thought that things could have been worse.

Dinner was great, the baked potatoes were light and fluffy and the roast was pale pink in the middle.

I'm in love with my new oven.

I'm not really digging the roof though.

No comments: