Friday, January 06, 2006

We were talking about the relationships in the bar both current and past. She was sitting on the waist high refrigerated chest that holds the bottled beer. I was sitting in the barstool that I liked least. I have a habit of leaning on the bar because it straightens my worn out back. It puts me closer to the barkeeps, not by design but by happenstance. I sometimes think the closer proximity causes me to be told things normally I wouldn't hear.

"We're one big happy family"

"A little bit incestuous, though"

She laughed. I smiled. When I first arrived my preferred seat was occupied and she was staying off to the side. I slightly worried that it was me she was avoiding but once a certain customer left she came out of hiding and sat by me.

"He wants to get back together with her but she's with someone new and he'll never stop being unfaithful."

I thought different. I thought he could pull his act together if the love was true but I kept silent.

No comments: