Thursday, August 24, 2006

8/22/06

I wasn't prepared for her question when she asked if I had any ambitions.

An eager or strong desire to achieve something, such as fame or power. The object or goal desired. Desire for exertion or activity; energy.

She had just driven from Hollywood, across the entire country, to Boston with her boyfriend. When the silence went on too long, in the absence of my answer, I threw out the statement: "I take life as it comes." My answer disappointed the both of us. I'm free of ambition.

I think that's when I started with the Vodka drinks.

A stack of files means money but the stack that greeted me at the second job was more of an irritation than an inspiration. I didn't want to be there and if anybody was looking, I'm certain I was showing it.

"Those maps look great."

"Thank you," was my mere soft reply.

I rarely say 'thank you' to compliments; I don't mean to rude, I just don't think much I do is praiseworthy. My reply is usually akin to: "Yeah, I think it'll do the job." The purpose of my answers last night was to kill any further conversation.

I said "Thank you" a lot last night and for the most part I was left alone.

...

No comments: