Saturday, August 05, 2006

It took awhile and what seemed to be a pint of whiskey on the rocks at the end.

It took awhile but I waited it out for my regular seat a combination of strangers and friends and a sense of what’s polite and what is not kept me in the chair I started in. People will stand next to my regular seat and order beers. They’ll order other things but mostly the request is for beer. This one guy was resting his forearm on the bar with a twenty folded longwise in his left hand. When he first arrived, his twenty was at the near edge of the bar, the longer he waited the closer to the other edge of the bar he moved his twenty, pointing it right at the bartenders

I found his actions to be mildly humorous. It was like he thought showing a twenty was going to get him attention. It was like he thought he wasn’t being seen.

When the bar is busy and you’re not being served it’s most likely because they are busy. It’s not because you’re not seen.

I turned away from the guy and smiled at his folly. I’ve been in that seat more than enough times to know that flashing or waving money at one of the bartenders is something they don’t like. Danielle finally took the guy’s order, she passed his Bud Light draft passed my right arm.

“What’s so funny?” she asked me as we met eyes. Usually, I would say that I would tell her later because I wouldn’t want to talk about the guy with him standing right there but I thought the guy was an ass, so I spoke up.

“I just find it funny that some folks think that showing money will get them attention.”

She laughed as her gaze traveled to the guy next to me as she said “Yeah, I know, like this guy.”

No comments: