Monday, October 09, 2006

I guess I was a little bitter, and I'm certain losing seventy dollars at the poker table didn't help.

I ended up bring: mini English muffin bacon egg & cheese sandwiches, chicken fingers (much like you get from the Chinese restaurant), and little pizza slice-like things baked on top of puff pastry. We were told by the host that we could not "do take-out" this time we had to make something.

I got there late for two reasons: one because I wasn't finished making the egg sandwiches because splitting little homemade English muffins is a little tricky and also because I was tired of being the only one of time. I got there at quarter to five for the four o'clock start. Seven of us were scheduled to play, I brought the count to five when I arrived.

There was a crock pot of chili and some Chinese dumplings in the oven and with, what I brought, I thought it was a decent start. It turned out that was it, other than store bought cookies and store bought Halloween cupcakes.

I did my best to keep quiet. Questioning how someone could always forget how to deal a game that they always deal was beginning to make me crazy, so I just sat quiet and when the dealer asked "how do I deal this?" and looked at me, I just shrugged.

"Where'd you get the little English muffins?" the forgetful dealer asked.

"I made them."

"From scratch?" someone who cooks asked.

"Yup"

"Did you use a press or something?" the dealer said.

"What!?" I said and waited for an explanation. Did he mean a cookie press like thing or one of those things you use to pre-form burgers? I didn't know and I was irritated but this non-food-bringing self-professed-'to-unskilled-to-cook' forgetful just-can't-shut-the-heck-up donkey's question about food preparation. Crack a cook book. He offered no further clarification so I looked away from him and said "No."


Next time maybe I'll just show up with a steak and cheese for myself.

No comments: