Thursday, October 26, 2006

So, I was struggling with staying motivated. I started walking around like I do when I'm bored; part of the routine is the take money out of the ATM even though I don't need to be carrying any more cash than I have in my pocket.

I stand and stretch. Look at the clock. It's late enough to go to lunch but if I leave now then I get back all the sooner. I sit back down because I would rather tough it out before lunch than to try to tough it out after lunch.

I check my email accounts yet again and then get up to take another walk but this time I hear a familiar voice. The voice belongs to Lady G. I find her at the front desk.

"Nice sweater. Who gave you that?"

I looked at the sweater. I was pretty certain I bought it because I have a maroon one just like it and I know she would never by me two sweaters of the same style. I say "I don't know" because even though I'm certain it wasn't her, I 'm certain as to who it was.

"It looks like Express."

I say nothing because my mind is still processing sweater information. She walks over to my desk. I follow.

She suggests I leave my desk for seven minutes and I do. When I get back, there are five shirt boxes cascaded over my desk, along with a mug that exclaims "How the #*@!! did I get to 40" (there is no question mark at the end).

I looked at the desk and smiled and without looking at her I said, "The sweater's Claiborne."

"I didn't get you that."

"Yeah. I got it myself."

"I know I didn't get it because I wouldn't buy Claiborne."

I worried that there may be some quality or political issue with that designer that I'm unaware about so I ask "Why not?"

"Because Claiborne doesn't go with jeans."

For some reason I look down at my jeans even though I know exactly which pair of jeans I'm wearing. "Yeah, I don't care about things like that."

"I know."

"But I try to pick it up a bit when you're around."

"I know you do, sweety."

She waits as I open all the boxes. The shirt boxes, as you may have surmised, contain mostly shirts save the one that contained a jersey.

"I love you, baby," she said as she left.

No comments: