Sunday, October 01, 2006

Most of the time, I don't want to be involved but I'll look and see that everybody else seems to be doing nothing as well. So, I'll sigh a little maybe hang my head and do it.




I was already by her when I realized that I knew her. She was outside the bar smoking with a friend. I turned back around just as she was entering the bar. I thought about following her in and getting her first drink but instead I continued on my way. We're not friends, we've only seen each other at the bar a few times. She tended bar at the place up the street, her work place and my drinking place bookend the block. The bartenders from my bar visit her bar and vise-versa, when they get breaks.

The last time I saw her she was moving to Florida. I bought her a shot of Soco and lime and wished her luck, that was eight months prior.

She was there when I returned an hour later and when she was walking past me, to the restroom, I said hello.

"I thought it was you, but I was afraid you had forgotten about me."

"Naw. I thought you were in Florida."

"Things didn't work out, so I'm back."

"Well, it's good to see you."

When she got back to her stool, her and her friend ordered two shots of Soco and lime. I asked Jen to put them on my tab.

"These are from Timmy."

"Here's to Jimmy!" her friend exclaimed.

I just smiled and raised my glass.

"It's Timmy" she corrected and then she mouthed the words – thank you.

No comments: