Sunday, October 29, 2006

vents and shafts

It's a dance. A crude clumsy dance.

...

He complains about others. His complaints reveal that he must hate himself.

...

He's a great shot at leg's length.

...

I half expect him to ask me how I am for the third time in seven minutes.

"Getting more pissed off by the minute."

He comes in all wound up and bounces his craziness all over the place.


Dude, freaking chill.


...

They wanted a fancy craig's list ad. One solution I heard was to make the ad in Microsoft Publisher, convert it to a PDF and then convert the PDF into a JPEG and post the JPEG to craig's list.

I believe my response was a slow blink.


Two or three days later...


"They said it was written by HTML."

"That's not quite accurate. It can be written in HTML but it can't be written by HTML."

Later...

I was shown an ad. It kicked ass on 98% of all the other craig's list ads.

"But it doesn't print out well. When you print it you lose things on the sides," I was told.

"Yeah, that's the trouble with a fixed format, like you have with tables such as that and you need tables to get that look."



Our logo sucks. It is very limited. It does not translate to the internet too well. It's some fancy doorway drawn by a bunch of fine lines.

I'm no artist. I'm not a design guy. I can tell you what things should do, how things should feel, but I can't tell you how to do it. I lack vision but I'm good with 'feel.'

Breezy, casual, elegant, business like, friendly, quick, bright, cool, warm, "It shouldn't hurt my eyes. This hurts my eyes."

"It needs to be simple and clean, contained in a relatively small area, compact."

I try to make things like I want them but it's hard to get the image in my head onto the computer screen when I actually do not have an image in my head.

"I like the looks of this."

"Yeah, but can you read it?" I'll ask.

"It's a little difficult but..."

If it's a fluffy piece I don't care whether you can read it or not but if its function is to convey information than you need to be able to read the information.

My number one goal when I creating things is not to piss people off (unless I'm trying to piss people off but I haven't found a need to do that yet).

I don't like saying "Check this out" because I don't think Northern's like being told what to do. I know I don't. If someone says me "Hey you, read this" I say bug off. Okay, it's not 'bug off' that I say but the message is the same, albeit profaner.

You don't butt in, you invite. Have them come to you, don't force yourself on others. There are some businesses where you can't be edgy.

No comments: