Thursday, October 19, 2006

the ladies love me

We were let go at lunch from jury duty. My duty placed me a block away from my day job, so at lunch I walked to my normal lunch place. My plan was to have lunch and split; I had lunch but I didn't split.

During lunch I overheard a phone conversation between the manager and the owner. Names weren't mentioned but I knew it involved my favorite bartender. I looked at the clock, it was one thirty, she would be in at four. It was a lot longer than I wanted to wait and even longer than I had planned but I decided to stay until four.

"Timmy, I was going to email you and ask you to be here, so I'm glad you're here. What would you have done if I emailed you? Would you have thought I was crazy?"

"No, and I would have been here."

When I got a chance, I told her what I had heard. I don't like being a rat but I dislike it more when a friend is about to be thrown under a bus.

She asked me to stick around so I did.

"Are you going to stay?" she asked later "I have to go setup upstairs."

I looked her in the eye, she looked o.k.. I looked at my beer, it was just about finished. I said "I think I'm leaving."

She walked past me to the stairs and shouted over the loud evening crowd. "Thanks, Timmy. I'll see you tomorrow," she paused a moment and then added. "I love you." She then bounded up the stairs.

No comments: