Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Brrrr

I could feel the cold throughout the house. It's part of the wintery charm of living in a house built over a hundred years ago. I knew outside the temperature would be below the freezing point.

When I got to my truck I noticed the windshield frosted up in a strange pattern. It wasn't the normal solid paper thin sheet of ice I sometimes find on the outside but long feathery lines on the inside. They looked like flatten pipe cleaners; if you could make pipe cleaners out of ice.



I watched them slowly disappear as the cab warmed. It seemed to be taking forever and in that time I thought about the fleeting life of this art of nature, never to be seen again, and then thought of my own fleeting life.

I wondered how long it would take for me to just disappear from view and thought, and from my right eye I could feel a tear form and not because I was getting all misty eyed but because it was that freaking damn cold.

No comments: