Thursday, March 24, 2005

Heroes

I was just wondering how to start this post when I looked over at my unopened gas bill and noticed that the meter postage is stamped Hicksville, NY. I really don’t like the idea of my bills coming from Hicksville.

Anyway...

Someone sent me an email that had ‘wake up’ in the subject line.

It’s not that I’m not awake it’s more like I’m just not getting out of bed.

I was also told the it was Spring time, I said “but 4-6 inches of snow is forecasted for tonight” which actually changed to 6-8 inches later in the day, “So not quite Spring yet” I added.

This morning I awoke to wet pavement and absolutely no snow. I've lost my excuse.

Back to the title – Heroes

I was reading Fighting Verse’s post about heroes, actually heroes lost or maybe heroes never really found, I guess, and it made me think about me and then my heroes.

In my real life, the one of flesh and blood, of handshakes and frowns I have received the label ‘hero’ and if I think that I will see that person or those people again, I will almost always let them know that I’m just doing what I can, I let them know I’m just an average guy with average abilities – anyone can do what I do.

They will usually offer a disagreement but then at least I know they have been informed.

There are two main reasons I let folks know that I’m not a hero, one – so there won’t be that much of a let down when I disappoint them and two – that they can be their own hero.

I also remind myself that my heroes are just mortals, often just regular folks with shortcomings.

One of my heroes was some guy who on his morning walks would pick up litter along the way and he was a guy who you would think wouldn’t bother himself by picking up litter. He was a congressman who actually did some important stuff, impressive stuff but he lived his life as a steward of what he had and not as an owner. He tried to leave more than he took.

My heroes are the ones who don’t just walk by a thing even though they would probably like to do so, the ones who start a thing but still carry on when things get rough, the ones who are willing to stand alone

I try to emulate their good and forgive their bad

Sometimes I have to be my own hero but I don’t let it go to my head because I’m just an average guy with average abilities.

No comments: