Saturday, March 26, 2005

“How did it go?”

I was asking about her experience with feeding 100 people.

“It went alright”

Her answer was given is such a way that I knew the outcome turned out alright but there was some drama along the way. I questioned further and got the whole story.

When she was asked to help she thought she and a couple of people she knew were going to be the only ones doing it, so she planned accordingly, things were going fine until right before the time to serve the food approached. Someone who has done this sort of thing before showed up and assumed command. He changed the plan on how to serve the food, when to serve the food, where the beverages would be, he started giving orders to people who were there to help my sister, he had an opinion of what service utensil should go in which hand. My sister explained to him a couple of times that things were going to be done her way because that is what her group decided one but when she left the area to do something else he would change things back to his liking.

From the story I got from my sister, this self-appointed-guy-in-charge’s attitude was to just feed them and get them out the door, he had no respect for the people as being people. He wanted to serve the food earlier than the stated time even though the food wasn’t heated to the proper temperature and he stacked full salad bowls on top of each other. Paperware was being used and I know that the inside of a new paper salad bowl is as clean as the outside of a new paper salad bowl but I’m of the opinion that full salad bowls shouldn’t be stacked. If my food was served to me this way I would send it back.

My sister said “It’s good you didn’t come. There would have been trouble” I was going to deny her statement but most likely I would have confronted that guy to the point to where he would have either started crying or he would have met me in the parking lot. I know of the guy that was causing difficulties, the first six words I ever heard him speak caused me to dislike him and at this event he was doing things that usually cause me to get in someone’s face. He had no respect for the help, he had no respect for the poor, he took charge of things he shouldn’t have, he was inflexibly narrow minded in his ways, when he was told to get out of the way he didn’t and he did all of these things at a time that caused my sister difficulties. If he did those things to me, I would have been more patient but when folks cause problems for my family or friends, I tend to get a little combative.

I would have either broken that guy’s spirit or I would have broken his nose the choice would have been his but I most likely I would have made him choose one.

The people there said that this dinner was the best in a long while and my sister is talking about ‘if I do it again’, and she was asking for doable menu items. I’ll probably tag along if there is a next time just to keep our little friend in check. He’ll be safe from me now that I know I want to kick his ass, I kind of pity him a bit, he’s not a happy man and obviously he has control issues. That won’t stop me from speaking to him but breaking him isn’t going to do anyone any good. I’ll just keep him out of the way.

No comments: