Monday, March 28, 2005

I think your folding money has come unstowed

She called me and asked me to do something. I asked “Will tomorrow be alright?” and got some silence, which means no, it will not be, but she doesn’t want to say it.

“I’ll be right there” is what I said to break the silence.

When I get there I try to take care of some other things with the owner, first. Then the owner asks if I can take her laptop to be fixed and she pulls it from its hiding spot.

Her laptop has been giving the ‘no system disk found’ error message. I have told her “That’s a big problem if there is no floppy in the floppy drive”.

As she hands me the machine, I ask “Has that hole always been there?” There was a rectangle shaped hole about the size of a deck of cards only squished a little flat, if that were possible, on the bottom of the laptop.

This computer was given to her by someone so I know very little about it.

I think it's stolen.

She says “I don’t know” and looks to where she pulled it from and lifts up the hard drive and asks “What’s this?”

“That’s the hard drive and the source of your error message” it never occurred on me to check to make sure the hard drive didn’t fall out because as you may know the hard drive usually doesn’t fall out.

After plugging the hard drive back in, the machine worked just fine but there seems to be a problem with the little screw that secures it.

Then I did the thing I was actually there for

No comments: