Tuesday, May 17, 2005

a post a day late about a message a day late

I was having trouble hearing Little g, I don't know if it was her phone, my phone, the background noise or my ears.

"I like the way you say that" she said

"Say what?"

"I'm sorry"

when I couldn't make out what she was saying I would say "I'm sorry"

I called her, when I got back from lunch, my cell phone indicated I had two voice messages waiting. The first message was from Lady G and she needed someone to pickup Little g at 3:00PM, Little g's father had failed to show. I looked at my watch it was 3:30PM. The second call was from Little g, she was asking if I was going to pick her up at a particular location.

I work until 4PM on most every weekdays, I can occasionally cut out early sometimes because sometimes I give an extra effort but I can't always cutout. I was concerned that I was expected to just leave but I was glad she knew I would. I was concerned I couldn't reach either of them by cell phone, I left messages and waited.

At three forty five, I called the house for a second time, Little g picked up the phone. "That was yesterday" I was told.

My voice mail sent me the message a day late.

We chatted about all sorts of things.

"I hate teachers" she told me

"You hate all teachers? *My sister* won't like to hear that. There hasn't been one teacher you liked?"

"No... Well except for my fourth grade teacher because she was funny when she was yelling at me."

"How was she funny?"

"She was from Jamaica and she would say things like 'Sit your butt back down in that chair'" which Little g said with a Jamaican accent.

I laughed.

It was funny.

No comments: