Wednesday, May 11, 2005

sometimes, I think I'm a riot

I left without saying goodbye and it bothered me a bit so I called down there. The plan was to say "Sorry I left without saying goodbye but you know I love you"

Before I did leave I had left a pretty large tip for the lunch I had but I knew I wasn't coming back and things were kind of slow and she did leave an item off my bill (on purpose), and she knows I like the squatty ketchup bottles instead of the tall ketchup bottles and she actually went down into the kitchen to see if any of the squatty ones were around, the place had people but the sox game was on so folks weren't really drinking or eating. She noticed the tip, said it was too much, made change and gave it back to me. I left most of it anyway.

Then on the fourth ring she picked up the phone and the plan changed.

"Hello, *Tim's normal lunch place*"

"Listen, I know it's not that busy there. You need to pick up the phone quicker"

There is silence.

I'm waiting to see if she recognizes my voice even though I have never called there before.

There is more silence and then I laugh because I know she pissed off right now so I thought it was time to let her off the hook so I say "Hey, its..How angry are you right now?" more silence which means she's very angry. "It's Tim, I sort of just disappeared, I didn't want you to think I forgot about you, but you were talking with someone"

She wasn't having a good day but I got her to laugh.

"I bet you could have just pictured my face right then. I knew it wasn't the owner so I thought something was up. I just could figure out what. You did just vanish so I did figure I must have been talking with someone. When are coming in next?"

"I'm taking Friday off but I might be there tomorrow."

"Okay. Hey, you have a great day. Thanks for calling."

No comments: