Saturday, May 20, 2006

"Are you staying?"

"No. I gotta go." and then I looked around at the crowded bar "I don't think I'm needed here any more."

"I need you. You're the place I go when I'm tired of the assholes. I need you Mondays and Wednesdays."

"I'll still be around."

"I love you." I heard her say, genuinely sweet, as she checked to make certain she was getting all the beer rings to my left. Usually, when I hear those words the defenses go up but this time they didn't. I knew there was no danger in hearing her say that to me.

"I love you too, Danielle, but could I get what I owe."

"Timmy, but I don't think you owe anything" she said just as sweetly but with a slight hint as if she was trying to explain something to a child for the third time, as she walked to the register. I watched her as she checked the open tabs. "Nothing" she said as she returned and I wondered if the guy next to me heard it. I wondered if he was a little perplexed at how I could have bought him a beer and not have had a bill to pay. I resisted my desire to look at him.

I had cash in hand and started to look for a ten to leave as a tip and I was reprimanded for it, so I just said "Thank you" as I stepped away and out the door.

No comments: