Saturday, May 27, 2006

I got to leave early, twice. The first time I was told, I wasn’t certain if it was for real so I just left for a long lunch when I returned I was told to go home, so I left.

I didn’t go home; I joined some friends to celebrate the long weekend with a beer or two. On the third beer, my cell phone rang. I was asked to go to the second job.

I was not certain what would happen at the second job because what was request was not possible. I had been putting of the impossible but you can only put off things so long.

I was greeted at the office and then told in hushed tones that the owner was unhappy. I wondered if she was angry with me.

I delayed a little when I got to my desk, hoping that some inspiration would save me from my dilemma. No inspiration came, so I just did what was requested even though I knew it was foolhardy.

I walked my foolhardiness down to the owner’s office.

“We’re gonna have problems with these ones” I said as I placed the files on her desk. She seemed unfazed which was a good sign. She told me of some plan she had for fixing the company’s current problem, and it was just four days away. I could wait that long.

“How are you doing?” I asked her.

“Smoking my brains out. How are you?”

“Wishing I was smoking my brains out.”

Things should work out. I’ll know Tuesday.

No comments: