Thursday, May 04, 2006

bored this train

I haven't really been looking around the internet like I used to, mainly because some of my access to it has been limited. Anyway, last night I'm looking around my friends' list on Buzznet and started fussing with the map feature; the one that shows a little flag on a world map of all your friends. I had a few flags show up in the L.A. area but I couldn't see them all so I zoomed in. On that map you can zoom into street level, I zoomed in on xTx's and found out she's hooked up to the internet from some graveyard in L.A. (or somewhere near L.A.). So, then I thought maybe for security reasons Buzznet doesn't post accurate information, it just gives an approximation or maybe they plot locations to the nearest graveyard. I decided to check my own location but Buzznet doesn't seem to let you look at your own location even if you're on your own friends list but it so happens I have a second Buzznet account so I added that to my friends list and a little flag popped up on the map. The map was zoomed out quite a bit but it seemed a little too close for comfort. I zoomed in on it and then zoomed some more and noticed the name of a graveyard was by my flag.

Zooming in some more, the graveyard name moved to the left, so that ruled out always plotting to the nearest graveyard. Once I zoomed into street level the flag was about half way between my second office, where I was at the time of my messing about, and my home which is not some great distance away and as a matter of fact if you traveled to the closest public transportation subway station, in relation to the flag, you would be at the station I use every workday at about seven thirty in the morning.

It plotted my location with an accuracy of about a two mile radius is what I guess I'm trying to say which isn't a problem for me. TRUE plotted somewhere on the West Coast and Paxgitmo plotted on the East Coast, everyone else seemed to plot in the appropriate positions.

No comments: