Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"writers write"

I'm a little surprised there are as many words in this space as there are.

I've read a few books on writing, not to hone my skills but to try to figure out why I write. I would argue that I like typing more than writing, I like putting pen to paper more than conveying things with words; the trouble is with both typing and the physical act of writing one needs words.

A majority of the books I've read on writing suggest that one just write, write anything, write everything, write without abandon.

I had an English teacher who had a similar theory for reading. Just read, read anything, eventually you'll want to read something good.

I'm not to the point where I wish to write something good.

I know this guy who I have heard is working on a book. I have a slight desire to beat him to the presses, so to say.

I would rather share a dollar draft beer with a friend than to sit down to a five course meal with someone trying to enlighten me with their cultured pearls of wisdom.

Maybe I'll entitle the book "Cultured Pearls of Wisdom" and it will be about some pompous ass who hasn't a clue about living life but yet he spouts off about how others should live. I think he'll have a doctorates degree: Dr. Pompass.

There will also be a character who likes to point out the follies in others while he himself goes seemingly folly free because he cares not to try anything other than to try to prove people wrong or their achievements insignificant: Mr. Killjoy.

No comments: