Monday, May 15, 2006

So...

What was I going to say?

forget it, whatever it was

Mother's day or is it Mothers' Day?

I'm going with Mother's Day.

So, Mother's Day, there I am with my mom and two of my sisters riding around Sunday morning.

"So, what do you want to do for Mother's Day, mom?"

"I don't have any plans."

ya, know what?

the ensuing dialog is too boring to type so I'll cut to the chase. It was 11:05AM and we ended up at the Outback Steakhouse. My mom ordered the swordfish on special, I got a steak and a baked potato. We were the first ones through the door. The steak was overdone. I no longer believe the Outback Steakhouse is a good value. We did get great service however. It was close to twenty bucks an entree, for twenty five you can go to a fine restaurant.

The point of this story is that I was eating steak and a baked potato at 11AM.

...

It's been raining everyday for the past two weeks, after taking mom out, and after I finished at the second job, I went downtown.

"Oh my God, it's Timmy."

"Hey, how are things?"

"What are you doing here?"

"I was worried that no one would be here so I came by."

After she had poured me a beer she walked around the bar and sat next to me "It's been dead in here. There is no way I'm going to make any money. I've spent most of my time sitting right here. I'm so tired"

I don't get to see much of her anymore, our schedules don't meet as well as they used to and when we do see each other, she usually asks me to drop by on Sunday. So, on this Sunday I dropped by.

We talked about old times and current things.

It was good seeing her.

...

"Did you go back Friday?" Joe asked

"No. I had to get my truck. But I was there yesterday."

"Who works Sundays?"

"Emily"

"Emily just might be the prettiest one there."

"What brought you Downtown?" Dave asked.

"Emily" Joe said.

I just smiled

...

We get the same requests over and over again, there really isn't anything new under the Sun, working where we do.

"When did we do that? Three or four years ago?"

"I would guess four" I said.

I found the paperwork.

"That's unbelievable, huh? That we did that that long ago."

"Yeah, it's almost seven years."

"It's almost scary. Where does the time go?"

...

So, there is a new top to the bar. The old one was wood and worn. The new one is solid black granite. Three different bartenders and a manager have all asked me what I thought about the new top to the bar.

"I like it but I miss that lip that the wood one had, it would keep the beer from hitting your lap when someone knocked a glass over. But this is way better looking, I'll just have to be quicker, or people will have to be more careful."

...

"You got a square template?"

I paused while trying to think up some smartass remark but nothing was coming so I just said "Yeah"

"I used to have one but someone stole it."

"It wasn't me." I said as I handed him a square template that had someone else's initials on it.

"This isn't even yours."

"I stole it far and square." Most of my equipment, I bought, but some other things have gravitated to my desk and then there are still other things that I have saved from the trash. I haven't stolen anything. "If you find anything with a CM on it, you're welcome to take it."

"What about this? Do I return it to Eddie or to you?"

"Me"

No comments: