Saturday, July 15, 2006

I was walking pretty much in straight line to the subway station four stops closer to home then I usually do. The route I chose would took me through the shopping district which was in its last throws of life for the day. Trash was piled high at the curbs. Panhandlers, though still present, were done with their begging for the day. An elderly Asian woman was checking the trash barrels for redeemable bottles.

In route to the station, at a signalized intersection, I waited a step of the curb for a cab to drive past so I could cross against the lights. The taxi was the only one on the road, so I wasn't going to wait for a walk indication. It looked like he wasn't paying attention, he was rolling forward slowly looking at something in the passenger seat. I got angry with him for delay my crossing. I most definitely cursed his existence.

By partly walking around him and partly his going forward I made it past the cab and to the other side of the roadway. I was still pissed off at him so I gave a backwards glance.

The driver had pulled his cab over to the curb; he got out and handed an empty soda bottle to the elderly Asian lady.

Then I cursed my existence.

No comments: