Monday, July 24, 2006

this post existed before I read Radio's comment

I should have axed this post but bloggers better than I say 'never delete'.



This is how I wrote it originally in my notebook which I had left at work in my Timbuk2 messenger bag, so I wouldn't forget it at the bar.

...

I guessed she was raised in a house with a lot of yelling by the way she snuck her fun.

She was hopping down the pink granite stairs behind her mother's back. She missed the last one.

She landed on her knees just as her mother turned around. I guess even the yelling mothers have a maternal instinct.

She got a look of worry about her and then she quickly sprang to her feet as she examined her knees. I'm pretty sure we both expected blood and yelling but her knees shown clean.

She laughed.


...

If I were to rewrite it, it might look like this...until tomorrow.


She was probably five years old and I guessed that she was being raised in a house with a lot of yelling by the way she snuck her fun.

She was doing some dance routine behind her mother's back as she hopped down the pink granite stairs. She was being careful not to let her mother catch what she was doing.

When she got to the bottom stair, there was a misstep and she landed on her knees just as her mother turned around. I guess even the yelling types of moms have a basic maternal instinct. The little girl had a look of fear and worry as she sprang back to her feet while checking her knees. We both braced for the verbal barrage. The future played out in front of me as I pictured the child being raised by her arm that her mother would be lifting to height higher than what would be helpful all the while yelling "I told you not to play on those stairs! It's your own fault you got hurt! You never listen!"

I'm pretty sure we both expected blood and yelling but her knees shown clean, which cause her to smile and then to laugh like she had just cheated the devil in a game of checkers.

No comments: