Thursday, November 16, 2006

hallow, hollow, hallo

He was touting the virtues of competing for a win, praising those who have at least tried, those who dared to reach for the thrill of victory - these were heroes for risking loss.

His assumption seemed to be that all those who do not try to win, do so because they are afraid to lose. For some reason I took his article a little bit personal even though I'm fearless of losing.

I was irritated at his rational and angry that he was calling me a coward just because I often chose not to participate. I wanted to tell him I'll often step up when the odds are against me, when losing is expected. It not the losing I fear, it’s the winning.

I often find victory fleeting and hollow despite all those yeah-sayers patting me on the back.

Most of the time when I'm going for the win, it's not to prove that I have the best skills, it's to prove that everybody else's skill isn't the best. I often don't to play to win, I play to make others lose and there is very little joy in that.

I'm probably the biggest loser with a winning record.

So, Mister Columnist, I am not a coward; I'm an asshole. Please try to get it right in the future – maybe with a footnote or something.

No comments: