Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I can't see your screen, you called me on the phone

I don't always know where all the commands are because I'm not afraid of looking and I'm a pretty good guesser or maybe because my subconscious keeps track of those things anyway, if you call me on the phone and ask me technical questions you may hear something like "There is a sort function somewhere."

"You see at the top where the columns are, the A's, B's and C's?" I asked.

"Yes"

"And to the side you have the rows, the 1, 2 and 3's?"

"Yes"

"Well, where the columns met the rows there is a blank square. Hit that and it should select everything."

"Ok. It did."

"Now just sort by last name."

"No. It's not working. Every time I tell it to sort the last name it just selects the last name."

"Once you select everything and you tell it to sort, you have to tell it what column the last name is which is probably like column D."

"Nope it's not working. It's just selecting the last names."

I don't have all the menu items and commands along with their locations memorized, surprisingly as that may seem. So, I opened up the spreadsheet program at my day job to find out where things were.

"Select everything," I said.

"Okay"

"Now from the top, select Data and then Sort."

"Okay."

"Now just 'sort by' whatever the last name column is."

"Which is E."

"Yeah, sort by E."

"Okay it did it. I've never done that before."

No comments: