Wednesday, November 08, 2006

He is Tony

He's retired from the place of which I'm currently employed. He was also a regular at the bar and a big fan of Danielle. He was my only rival to Danielle's 'favorite customer' title. At the very end there, after three or four years, is when I think I finally edged that old man out.

I haven't seen him much, mostly because neither of us has been frequenting that place. Today, while I was having coffee with a co-worker who was also a regular, Tony walked by and we called to him.

Tony's been retired for seventeen years; he must be in the ballpark of eighty years old but he still gets around pretty well. He's always telling me about the going-on's of other places around. Our conversation happened upon Danielle. It was pointed out that she would always talk to each of us whenever we where there and today the bartenders no longer do that.

Sometimes, I miss the casual relationships the most.

No comments: