Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I've seen better

I was having an early coffee break with my supervisor when my cell phone rang. I was asked to attend a meeting that was scheduled at ten. The asker was a boss five from the top. My supervisor is six from the top.

I don't do a lot of meetings. I'm usually squirreled away in some building's bowels making certain everything is easy to digest. The meetings I do do often come with little notice. I'm a cool cucumber so the powers-that-be know I won't get us in trouble and I'll get the story straight.

Before I left for the meeting, a boss three from the top came over talking on his cell phone with concerns about whether or not a detour map was in the hands of the person organizing the meeting. I interrupted his long winded call by stating that she told me she had the map and would be passing it out at the meeting.

I don't get to see a lot of other people's stuff so I was interested in seeing the map.

The contractors gave us a quick run down about schedules for when the bridge would be closed for repairs. It has been closed in the past. Nothing difficult but you do want your ducks in a row, then they passed out a detour map. I watched the small stack of papers make its way to me, three seats away, I recognized it. It was a map I made two years earlier, completely unchanged.

I've seen better.

No comments: