Tuesday, March 27, 2007

There was a house side salad at my usual seat and some guy sitting towards the opposite end so I made my way to the short side of the L shape of the bar by the jager machine.

I was put on alert when I heard "Hey, honey. I saved you your seat." I've heard all those words before but I knew her greeting wasn't just for my benefit and she indicated that I should sit in the seat next to the side salad.

She came around from the bar and gave me a big long hug as whispered that she was glad I came in when I did. Before the hug was over an attractive brunette came in and asked where her loving was, I said "I'll be there in a minute."

For the next forty five minutes I played the roll of the bartender's boyfriend. It's not the first time, I've played that part. It's a part I'll play for an audience of one lone weirdo. Sometimes, the engagement will cause me to have an extended lunch break. Fortunately, I've never had to explain myself after returning late.

It's turns out the side salad was holding a spot for her sister. She ordered a turkey wrap which came with unwanted fries. She never ate the salad. Her and her sister did eat the fries. The guy repeated tried to strike up a conversation with her and she shut him down every time; he stopped trying after she nearly shouted, "I'm just trying to eat." She never did look at him.

He went back to talking to himself. He was rather large with long hair and a little unaware. The voices in his head kept the body they dwelled in fairly well shape.

Before the bartender's sister left, she wondered out loud whether she would be followed. I watched to make sure she wasn't.

It was a rather uneasy lunch. I never did order anything to eat; I just ended up drinking sodas for an hour. The mode changed for the better when a couple of long time regulars came in.

The guy left minutes later. I stayed around until I was fifteen minutes late. I left a ten and a slip of paper with my cell phone number on it.

"I don't want your money."

"It's the same ten you didn't take Saturday."

"I don't want it."

"Then throw it away. I don't think he will but my number's there in case he comes back. I'll be back after work."

No comments: