Saturday, February 07, 2009

Rant

The building managers shut the lights off at night by shutting off circuit breakers; it’s easy to stand at an electrical box than to walk around nine floors of office space, and as such sometimes the lights don’t get turned back on the next morning. It’s not a common problem but it’s not an unknown problem. It happens from time to time.

Now I don’t know who to call in such a case but I do know that there is someone you can call and I also know that I can walk down to Security and mention it to them and they will get the light turned back on.

There was no problem with the lights in my section so I left the problem of some lights out to someone else. I could have tried to solve the problem but if other people see the problem there is a better chance that the inherent problem might get fixed as opposed to me just getting the symptoms fixed.

Well, it turns out that someone in the lights out section was a little bit more hands-on then I chose to be and he started flipping circuit breakers in a local box. I stood up to see over my cubical wall, who the dumbfuck was after my computer went dead.

I understand checking the breakers and I also understand flipping any tripped breakers but to just start resetting ever breaker in the whole entire box should never be an option unless the building electrician tells you to or you let everyone in the office know you’re about to do it. And this particular dumbfuck has done the same dumbfuckery before.

Some people began the barrage before I opened my mouth. I guess my computer is on one of the lower breakers and the folks on the higher breaker were already letting him know that his decision was a poor one. I was slightly surprised that he was undaunted in switch flipping, and after he went through the entire panel, the lights in question still didn’t turn on.

“It would have been nice if there was a warning.”

“I know it was stupid.”

“Well, it’s not like this is the first time this has happened.”

“I know but if the lights aren’t on when the boss comes in then I’ll hear about it.”

“It would have been nice if there were some way we could have called Maintenance or something.”

He continued the explain his fear of the boss coming in and finding that his lights weren’t on but the company has people for that stuff and those people should be called and if the boss comes in and there are no lights then say “I called Maintenance and they are on it.”

The guy is a dumbfuck, who is also a busybody who also has off the wall opinions, who always thinks that he is right, who thinks he’s higher than his station in life. You are a fifty six year old male secretary. You are not the office manager. You have been slowly downgraded in responsibilities through your travels though all the departments that no longer want you.

You suck and no one likes you.



He later came over an apologized. He claimed he had a brain fart. I reminded him that this wasn’t the first time he had done that exact thing.

Prove that you have learned something and then I’ll let it slide.

I wasn’t even working on anything important and thanks to the autosave I got most of it back but still, it was a dumbass move.

Stop being a dumbass, dumbass.


No comments: