Thursday, June 10, 2004

I'm avoiding work, so here's another...


"Is that a kid's book" I asked (I'm being an ass for the fun of it)
"Don't worry about it"
"But I do worry about it"
"Why?"
"Because I worry about you"
"Why?"
"Because I care about you"
"Why?"
"Because I'm a caring fellow. ...So, is it a kid's book?"
"No, it's not"
"What are you going to tell me it's a young adult's book"
"No"
"Is it a novella?"
"A what?!"
"A novella" (she is actually has a hearing problem, so I don't know if she faking or not. I sometimes tell her it's more of a listen problem)
"A who?"
"A NO-VEL-LA, you know a short novel"
"No, it's not"
"What how many pages are there? 96?" I asked
"No, there is more than 96"
"Oh, yeah? Can you check it for me?"
"What?! No"
"Come on, I want to know how close I was"
she thumbs to the back of the book, there are four blank pages so finding the 'last' page takes longer than either of us likes"
"One hundred and thirty-three"
"Oh, I guess I was wrong. Thanks"
A client comes in and I have to go to work.
"I'll be back later" I assured her.

No comments: