Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Today, I got an email from Tanya. Last year I took care of a request Tanya had, an extra mile was went. I never actually met Tanya, I only spoke to her on the phone. The email was friendly and a little too causal which confused me a bit but then I remembered something.

The something remembered was that after I hooked Tanya up last year, she ran into the other Tim that works with me. The other Tim came back one day and asked if I knew Tanya, I said I spoke to her on the phone and dropped some stuff by her non-profit office but I never met her. The other Tim tells me while he was eating lunch, in his work car, that Tanya approached him, asked if he was Tim and thanked him for stuff he didn't do, he further said that he didn't see the point in telling her that it might be a different Tim that she should be talking to. The other Tim said Tanya was worth talking to, meaning that she's cute.

Whatever, you prick.

So I let Tanya know that we can possibly hook her up again and that she ran into the other Tim last year, and that I'm the original Tim. I think she was slightly embarrassed by her email.

....

Why are these "no left turn" signs up? (asked all pissed off like)

I don't know. If you really want to know you need to write a letter, so we can research it.

Why don't you know? Who else would put up signs?

There could be two different groups of engineers.

Why would there be "no left turn" signs?

My guess would be that the city doesn't want you making a left turn, probably due to a conflict with other traffic.

Let me talk to so-and-so.

So and so doesn't work in city hall, he works at a different location.

Do you have his number?

I'll have to look it up. (I look it up and realize he's been transferred). Sir, he doesn't work as an investigator anymore.

What does he do?

He works taking care of inventory.

What inventory?

It's a special project gathering sign information.

So he would know.

No, he doesn't work in that part of the city. If you want to know you need to write a letter.

Who do you work for? (his tone wasn't asking for my boss's name but a setup for what follows)

The city.

Well, I'm a citizen and I pay taxes so I pay your salary.

Sir, you need to write a letter.

Why?

So, it can be researched.

Why can't you just look it up on the computer?

Because most of our records are still on paper.

Why don't you update the way you do things?

Sir, I really don't have the time to explain everything to you? (I had another line ringing)

Why don't you know?

Sir, you don't ask a plumber an electrical question.

(some sound of exasperation) Don't give me that, let me talk to your supervisor then. How about that?!

Fine. (I get my supervisor)

My supervisor hangs up the phone after five minutes with the guy and said you just talked to the craziest guy I know. And he really does know the guy. He was told he needs to write a letter, like my supervisor has told him before.

Usually, phone calls of this nature start with "Who am I speaking to?" Not so they can address me properly but so they will have a name to complain about. They always get my full proper name.

No comments: