Sunday, June 06, 2004

Why the macaroon?

“Hi Tim, I’m so and so, thanks for all your help in the past”
“Hi” I responded with a slightly puzzled look.
“Your help with the fundraising” she explained
me – still sporting the puzzled look.
“The invites and stuff”
me – now I get it. I remembered the invites but I hadn’t known she knew it was me. I try to keep on the down low.
“Yeah, and remember that poster you did? It really helped in the court case” a friend of mine said.
me-thinking what poster.
“The poster with all the kids in front of the school saying “Thank you” to all the people who helped”
In my mind that’s an ad. It was in the local paper and we printed a large color version of it for some of the big donors.

All that stuff is still saved on my computer somewhere but I forget most of it.


That exchange happened on a corner of my old neighborhood. I agreed to help the friend with something but I couldn’t reach her but then I saw her on the corner. She was there with her daughter and a friend with her daughter. The daughters were selling baked good to raise money to help keep their school opened.

I got the sales pitch from my friend’s daughter. I was told if I were to make a donation I would get the goods but if I want a napkin that would cost extra. I asked if I could just buy the napkin. I was told I could but it would cost thirty dollars. I peeled off two bucks and picked up a macaroon. I passed on the napkin. As my transaction was taking place I believe my friend was letting her friend know who I was because once I had the macaroon in hand, that’s when I got the “Hi, Tim”.

I’m not a big macaroon fan. I should have went for a brownie.

I did this t-shirt for shits and giggles. It glows in the dark.

No comments: